During the holidays we all love to add a little cheer to our morning coffee. But if you are following a ketogenic diet (high fat, moderate protein, low carbohydrate), you might think you have to skip out on these delicious mix-ins.
Your typical coffee shop holiday favorites are filled with sugary syrups that are anything but keto-friendly. And anything you buy at the store isn’t exactly low-carb either.
But don’t fret. As the author of Ketotarian, the plant-based keto book, I have the solution to one of our seasonal favorites – the peppermint mocha.
With just a few simple high-fat and low-sugar substitutions, you can still enjoy this classic beverage.
Keto-Friendly Peppermint Mocha
Yields 1 serving
- ½ cup coconut or almond milk
- ½ cup hot coffee
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ teaspoon cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon, or more, stevia or monk fruit to taste
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together coffee, dairy-free milk of choice, peppermint, cacao, MCT oil, and sweetener of choice.
- Stir until heated through and fully combined.
- Pour into a mug and enjoy.
- Optional: If you have a milk frother, froth to make more creamy and top with coconut whip for additional healthy fats if you desire.
If you want to learn more about your own health case please check out our free health evaluation. We offer webcam as well as in-person consultations for people across the country and around the world.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
Our articles may include products that have been independently chosen and recommended by Dr. Will Cole and our editors. If you purchase something mentioned in this article, we may earn a small commission.